Afghanistan: US drone strike ‘kills an Isis-K planner’ after the group’s deadly Kabul airport bomb attack
The US military said it believes it has killed a “planner” from terrorist group Isis-K, two days after the group claimed it was behind the deadly attack on Kabul airport.
The planner is thought to have been killed during a drone strike in Nangarhar province, according to a military spokesperson.
It comes after a suicide bomber killed at least 95 Afghan civilians and 13 US military personnel outside Kabul airport on Thursday. Unofficial reports suggest the death toll could be as high as 170 with a further 200 injured.
This was the most deadly incident for American troops in Afghanistan for a decade.
Two British civilians and the child of another were also killed in the attack, the UK Foreign Secretary said yesterday, and a further two British nationals were injured.
Terrorist group Isis-K, the Afghanistan affiliate of Isis, have claimed responsibility for the attack. US President Joe Biden vowed to “hunt down” those behind the attack and “make them pay”.
Capt Bill Urban of Central Command said: “The unmanned airstrike occurred in the Nangarhar province of Afghanistan. Initial indications are that we killed the target. We know of no civilian casualties.”
He described it as an “over-the-horizon counterterrorism operation” and did not say whether it was directly linked to the airport attack.
According to Reuters news agency, a reaper drone was launched from the Middle East into Nangarhar province, which is east of Kabul and borders Pakistan. The drone hit the militant who was in a car with an “Islamic State associate”, and both are are believed to have been killed.
A senior Taliban commander said some Isis-K members had been arrested over the Kabul attack, Reuters said.
“They are being interrogated by our intelligence team,” the commander said