At least 8 dead in ‘mass casualty event’ at Travis Scott Astroworld concert

At least eight people died and scores more were injured during opening night of rapper Travis Scott’s Astroworld music festival in Texas Friday, authorities said.

At around 9 p.m., the crowd of concertgoers at Houston’s NRG Park “began to compress” to the front of the stage, causing panic and some people to get hurt, Houston Fire Chief Samuel Peña told reporters early Saturday.

“The mass casualty incident was triggered at 9:38 this evening.”

At least 11 people were rushed to a hospital in cardiac arrest, authorities said. Some 300 were treated at a field hospital.

Horrifying videos on social media showed first responders performing CPR on an unconscious person as the concert at Houston’s NRG Park continued.

Another clip on social media showed someone being rushed out on gurneys.

“#ASTROWORLDFest can’t believe this is happening you’re supposed to feel safe at a music festival and make it back to tell how much fun you had but this is sickening,” one person posted on Twitter.

The Houston Fire Department said that it was responding to “multiple civilian injuries” at the concert just before 11 p.m. local time.

Earlier in the day, hundreds of eager fans were seen knocking down barricades at entrance gates blowing past metal detectors and security guards. None of those injured in that instance appeared to be seriously injured, according to ABC13.

The third installation of Astroworld’s 100,000 tickets sold out within an hour of going on sale in May. The event began in 2018 and was canceled in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Saturday’s concert was cancelled.

Leave comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *.