Queen to hold royal summit to decide Prince Harry’s future
The Queen, Prince Charles, Prince William and Prince Harry will meet at a royal summit on Monday for talks about the Duke of Sussex’s decision to step aside as a senior royal.
The royals will gather at the Queen’s Sandringham estate to discuss “next steps,” after Harry blindsided the monarch by publicly announcing his plans.
It will be the first time the four will have met since the issue engulfed the royal family, with the top royals hoping to forge an agreement to prevent the crisis causing lasting damage to the monarchy.
The Duchess of Sussex, Meghan Markle, will not be present for the summit as she has already returned to Canada – but may dial in by phone.
A royal source said: “The family will gather on Monday at Sandringham to talk things through, attended by Her Majesty, the Prince of Wales, the Duke of Cambridge and the Duke of Sussex.
“Following a series of meetings and consultations across the last few days, there are a range of possibilities for the family to review which take into account the thinking the Sussexes outlined earlier in the week.
“As we have said previously, making a change to the working life and role in the monarchy for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex requires complex and thoughtful discussions.”
The source added: “Next steps will be agreed at the meeting, the request for this to be resolved at pace is still her Majesty’s wish – the aim remains days not weeks.
“There is genuine agreement and understanding that any decision will take time to be implemented.”
Key questions remain about what roles the Duke and Duchess of Sussex may take, after signalling their hopes to become “financially independent” from the monarchy to fund their lives together.
Many of Sunday’s newspapers carried revelations about the crisis.
The Sunday Times reports on Prince William’s “sadness” at the royal rift with his younger brother.
According to the newspaper, he told a friend: “I’ve put my arm around my brother all our lives and I can’t do that any more; we’re separate entities.
“I’m sad about that. All we can do, and all I can do, is try and support them and hope that the time comes when we’re all singing from the same page. I want everyone to play on the team.”
Meanwhile, the Sunday Mirror claims that Harry and Meghan told Sir Elton John about their plans to step back from their responsibilities before they told the Queen.
A spokesperson for Sir Elton told PA: “Elton supports the fact that Harry and Meghan are admirably taking control of their own lives.
“He cares about them both and their family deeply and is fully supportive of any decisions the couple make, knowing they are made by them alone, without outside influence and with their future happiness and wellbeing in mind.”