Jurgen Klopp will ‘listen to offers’ for Liverpool star linked with Aston Villa transfer
Liverpool striker Divock Origi, who was linked with Aston Villa in the summer, will be allowed to leave Anfield in the New Year according to reports.
Website The Athletic is claiming that Reds boss Jurgen Klopp will consider offers for the Belgian international with Origi falling out of favour at Anfield.
Origi has played only seven minutes of Premier League football this season, with former Wolves striker Diogo Jota and Roberto Firmino Klopp’s favoured strikers so far in 2020-21.
Dean Smith’s side could look to the January transfer window to bring in attacking reinforcements with striker Wesley Moraes still out injured nearly a year on from rupturing an anterior cruciate ligament in a New Year’s Day win at Burnley.
Origi was linked with Villa in the summer with reports in August claiming that the striker was keen on securing regular football away from Anfield ahead of this summer’s European Championships.
With Ollie Watkins leading the line – and little backup – Villa could be tempted to make a move for a forward in January.
Winger Milot Rashica of Werder Bremen continues to be linked with a move to Villa Park while a striker could be on the agenda.
“We need to see where Wesley is in January to have in our mind whether we need to move in the market,” Smith said, hinting that a striker could be signed in the New Year.
Villa drew a blank in their goalless draw with Burnley on Thursday night and have only managed three goals in their last four games.
For Origi’s part, he said in the summer that he was keen to ensure his future remained at Anfield – although that might well have changed now.
“We have spoken with Liverpool and we have a nice course ahead of us,” Origi told Belgian publication Het Laatste Nieuws. “I just want to get better here.
“It is a project for me and I want to follow it. I don’t know how long I will do that. I feel that I am making progress, so it was a pity that the season stopped.”