Man Utd star Axel Tuanzebe subjected to more vile racist abuse after Everton draw
Manchester United star Axel Tuanzebe has suffered yet more racial abuse from so-called ‘fans’ in the aftermath of the 3-3 draw with Everton on Saturday evening.
The defender emerged from the Old Trafford bench with three minutes to play last night, shortly before Dominic Calvert-Lewin pounced to grab a last-gasp equaliser for the visitors.
Tuanzebe’s social media accounts were subsequently bombarded with racial slurs and offensive emojis following the draw.
It comes just one month after United were forced to publicly condemn racism aimed at the 23-year-old and Red Devils team-mate Anthony Martial.
The club statement read: “Everyone at Manchester United is disgusted by the racial abuse received by players via social media after last night’s game.
“We utterly condemn it and it is encouraging to see other fans condemn this on social media also.
“Manchester United has zero tolerance of any form of racism or discrimination and a long-standing commitment to campaigning against it through our All Red All Equal initiative.
“Identifying these anonymous mindless idiots remains problematic. We urge social media platforms and regulatory authorities to strengthen measures to prevent this kind of behaviour.”
The abuse also comes just one day after Chelsea defender Antonio Rudiger spoke out against abuse he suffered last month.
The German was branded a traitor by some Blues fans after Frank Lampard’s sacking – but reckons social media platforms are uninterested in catching the racists.
Asked if Twitter and others need to do more, Rudiger said: “At the end of the day, if more people are making accounts, they make money off it.
“So, personally, I don’t think these people care. For, as you know, this money has power. And the rest doesn’t matter.
“It’s hard to tell if people will change. I feel sorry about that. But I feel more sorry for people who are not strong enough as it really affects them, this type of stuff.
“Of course, it affects me, too, but I just think people are not normal. People are, sorry to say, stupid!”
Arsenal legend Ian Wright this week admitted he was ‘disappointed’ after a teen who bombarded him with racist messages escaped a criminal conviction.
In a statement on Twitter Wright said: “I’ve seen today’s judgement and I’m disappointed. This case was never about revenge, it was always about consequences for acts of racism.
“My forgiveness of this young man was for my own deeply personal need and desire to move forward without further anguish. I’m a 57-year-old man that has experienced racism throughout my life.
“I wasn’t expecting my forgiveness to be an invitation to lighten a sentence.”