West Ham eyeing move for £8m Bournemouth defender

West Ham United are planning to make a move for Bournemouth defender Steve Cook, according to reports.

The Hammers have been linked with a number of centre-backs throughout the summer. Their main target was Burnley’s James Tarkowski, but they were priced out of the move.

David Moyes’ side also attempted a move for Chelsea’s Fikayo Tomori. The supposed loan transfer was all agreed, but the player said no to the short-term switch at the last minute.

The European transfer window closed earlier this week, but the domestic window remains open until October 16. This allows players to move between from the Premier League to the EFL, and visa versa.

West Ham still have a week left to secure the signing of a centre-back. The Daily Star are reporting that the Hammers are now targeting Bournemouth’s Cook as an alternative to their previous targets.

In a separate report from The Sun, it is said that Moyes’ side are readying an £8m move for the 29-year-old.

The defender has been a mainstay for the Cherries for the past nine years. He originally joined the club on loan from Brighton in October 2011 with the club in League One.

His move was made permanent in January 2012 and he was been with them throughout their time in the Premier League. He has made just short of 300 appearances in all competitions for Bournemouth between 2011 and 2020.

Cook made 25 Premier League appearances for the south coast side during the 2019/20 season.

West Ham have only made two signings this summer. Both incomings have come from Czech Republic outfit Slavia Prague.

Tomas Soucek joined on a permanent deal for £15m after the midfielder spent last year on loan with the Hammers. Right-back Vladimir Coufal has also moved to the London Stadium for around £5.4m.

Leave comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *.